We are excited to share that James Toews has joined Applied Self-Direction to support our members and stakeholders as we advance self-direction. Prior to his work at Applied Self-Direction, James had a distinguished career in federal and state government. A few highlights:
- James was most recently the Acting Principal Deputy Director in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration for Community Living (ACL) and prior to that he was a Senior Advisor with ACL.
- Concurrent with his tenure at ACL, James also worked at:
- the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) on implementation of the Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) settings regulation,
- the US Department of Labor (DOL) on implementation of the Fair Labor Standards Rule (FLSA) Home Care Final Rule, and
- the US Department of Justice Civil Rights Division on Olmstead litigation in multiple states.
- James worked in Oregon as the Director of Developmental Disability Services and was the Director of Oregon’s state agency for Aging and Disability Services.
James’ extensive expertise and experience in Medicaid, Olmstead requirements, and labor regulations, and his wide-ranging understanding of promising policies and practices in the delivery of aging and disability services around the country, are already a wonderful addition to our team!
We hope each of you get a chance to work with James and please join us in welcoming him to Applied Self-Direction!