How to Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for a Health Care Service Service Recipient (HCSR) as an FE/A

Just after the 2013 Financial Management Services conference in Baltimore, MD, the IRS stated that Home Care Service Recipients (HCSRs) can obtain EINs using the IRS’ online system. Third Party Designees for HCSRs can also obtain EINs on behalf of HCSRs. This document outlines the steps for a Third Party Designee Fiscal/Employer Agent to obtain an EIN online for an HCSR employer. The Third Party Designee Fiscal/Employer Agent must have a signed paper IRS Form SS-4 Application for Employer Identification Number naming the Fiscal/Employer Agent’s staff person as a Third Party Designee in order to obtain an EIN for an HCSR online.